- Director (CEO), Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, since 2013.
- Principal Heritage Consultant, Nexus Heritage, 2010-2013.
- Head of Archaeology and Monuments, Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust, 2000-2010.
- Project Officer, University of Sheffield, 1995-2000.
- Field archaeologist. Various projects, mainly in Europe; working for British Museum, University of Western Australia, Landesamt für Archäologie Sachsen, English Heritage and others, 1989-1995.
- Director, Black Country Living Museum, since 2015.
- Director, Chartered Institute for Archaeologists, since 2014.
- Chairman, Historical Metallurgy Society, 2011-2014.
- Director, Institute for Archaeologists, 2009-2012.
- Director, Society for Post-Medieval Archaeology, 2002-2005 and 2008-2011.
- Director, Historical Metallurgy Society, 2003-2014.
- Honorary Research Fellow, University of Birmingham, since 2015.
- Editorial Board member, The Historic Environment: Policy and Practice, since 2010.
- Reviews Editor, The Historic Environment: Policy and Practice, 2012-2014.
- Teaching Fellow, University of York, 2010-2011.
- Assistant Editor, Post-Medieval Archaeology, 2009-2011.
- FSA: Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London (elected 2008)
- MCIfA: Member of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists
- PhD Archaeology, University of York. 2016.
- MA Historical Archaeology, University of Sheffield. 1998.
- BSc Archaeological Science, University of Sheffield. 1992.
OTHER VOLUNTEER ROLES
- Committee member, Shrewsbury Civic Society Planning Committee, 2015-2017.
- Committee member, CIfA International Practice Group, 2012-2016.
- Committee member, CIfA Research and Impact Special Interest Group, 2012-2015.
- Committee member, IfA Validation Committee, 2010-2013.
- Committee member and Newsletter Editor, Wrekin Historical Group, 2011-2013.
- Chair, Historical Metallurgy Society Archaeology Committee, 2009-2012.
- Committee Member, Madeley Living History Project, 2005-2014.
- Conservation Officer, Historical Metallurgy Society, 2003-2012.
- Historical Metallurgy Society Archaeology Committee, 2001-2009.
- Channel 4. Britain's Ancient Tracks: 'Offa's Dyke', 2017.
- BBC Radio Wales. 'Science in archaeology', 2015.
- BBC Wales. 'Offa's Dyke evidence at Chirk suggests earlier build', 2014.
- CBC Radio 1. Ideas with Paul Kennedy: 'The Story of Iron', 2009.
- Interview in The Guardian archaeology special issue, 2009.
- BBC1. Countryfile, 2007.
- BBC1. Eye in the Sky: 'Ironbridge', 2006.
- BBC2. What the Industrial Revolution Did For Us: 'Material World', 2003.
- Channel 4. Time Team: 'The Furnace in the Cellar', 2002.
Australian Archaeological Association; European Association of Archaeologists (life member); ICOMOS; Cambrian Archaeological Association; Sudan Archaeological Research Society; Historical Metallurgy Society; Society for Post-Medieval Archaeology; Association for Industrial Archaeology